You know, something tells me that Play Magazine doesn’t exist any longerPosted on February 9th, 2010 5 comments
- Fusion Publishing, producers of Play and Geek Monthly, hasn’t published anything since the January Play (above)
- The last print issue I got of Geek Monthly (subscription renewed in June ’09 or so) was way back in September; they apparently distributed their October and November issues in digital-only format while I wasn’t paying attention
- Play has recently lost two key staffers — Greg Orlando went to PlayStation: The Official Magazine, and Brady Fiechter, who was sorta the editor-in-chief, has moved on to the new EGM project
- A report on Geek’s Facebook page claims that readers are receiving notices that Fusion has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy (i.e. liquidation). I haven’t gotten my notice yet, but I certainly look forward to reading it and seeing exactly how impossible it’ll be to get a refund*
Does this mean that I’m not gonna be producing “Dave Halverson’s Greatest Hits” for 2010? 🙁
* Not like we did any such thing at PiQ, of course. But that was all out of my hands, I promise, having been laid off way beforehand! (Not that I was gonna spend my personal money to send out refunds, but…)
Hm, I guess the big question for me is whether trying to order those $10 bundles of 12 back issues is a good idea or a bad idea right now.
Bullet point three confirms it. Brady wouldn’t let go of Halverson’s tit unless there were absolutely no chance of any more cash coming out.
Eric Patterson (shidoshi) is also out. Que Taps, looks like this one is dead.
I had a feeling this was coming after seeing the news about Geek a couple of weeks ago. Sucks for them, but you’re right, refunds are pretty much out of the question.
Just to clarify: I left Play a while ago to do some game writing. I’ve been out of the fold for some time.
I wish all of my former Play co-workers well.
Leave a reply